Effective JAN 1, 2020
Modification of this Policy)
We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. We will notify you of material changes to this Policy by posting a prominent announcement on this Site.
What Information We Collect)
We may collect personally identifiable information ("Personal Information") including your name, age range, gender, address, e-mail address, phone number, “Customer Number” assigned to you by TV JAPAN, initial date of subscription, subscription method, the name of the entity through which you subscribe to TV JAPAN in order to provide the Services to you including providing monthly TV JAPAN program guide/e-mail newsletter, offering promotional campaign/sweepstakes, and TV JAPAN member registration. From time to time, TV JAPAN may perform a certain viewer survey to improve our programs and services. In such occasion, you may also be asked to voluntarily rate the content you view on the Site. TV JAPAN maintains procedural, technical, and physical safeguards for our online services to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of the personal information you provide via our online services. We also ask the service providers that help us deliver our online services to do the same. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop, or improve our online services. Unfortunately, no transmission of data is guaranteed to be completely secure. It may be possible for third parties not under our control to intercept or access transmissions or private communications unlawfully. Therefore, any transmission of personal information to us is made at your own risk. If you believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please notify us using the contact details below. All Personal Information shall be transferred to, processed and stored by Amazon Web Services. Personal Information of Canadian users of the Site shall be transferred outside of Canada to and processed and stored by Amazon Web Services.
Please note that submissions and public posts, such as user critiques and comments that you make on our Site may contain your name and/or email address, and as a result your name and/or email address may appear on the Site.
We may also automatically receive general information that is contained in our server log files such as (i) your device type and settings, software used and browser type and operating system, (ii) your Internet Protocol address and cookie information, (iii) websites or other services you visited before and after visiting the Site, (iv) web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within the Site, (v) unique identifiers and connection information, including mobile device identification numbers (e.g. Apple’s Identifier for Advertising IP (IDFA) or Google’s Android Advertising ID (AAID)) and internet connection means (e.g. mobile operator, ISP, WiFi connection) that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law, and (vi) information about your interactions with audio and video content, such as the type of content listened to (including music applications such as iTunes, Spotify and Last.fm) and content viewed, and information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded.
Some Internet browsers include the ability to transmit "Do Not Track" signals. TV JAPAN does not process or respond to "Do Not Track" signals.
Please note that all of the information we collect about you may be combined, including to help us tailor our communications to you and to develop rich online content and services across the Site and the Services.
From time to time TV JAPAN may run certain promotional campaigns for subscribers and/or non-subscribers on different parts of the Site. Only persons who provide us with the requested personally identifiable information will be able to participate in such campaigns. Similarly, from time to time, different parts of our website may provide activities or services which can be used only by subscribers and/or non-subscribers, as the case may be, upon provision by such persons of requested personally identifiable information.
How we use your personal information)
How we use non-personal information)
We may collect, use, transfer and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. Non-personal information is information that we collect that does not permit direct association with you or any other specific individual. For instance, we may collect data from many customers, including without limitation, data on geographical location, but we do so without collecting any Personal Information. We might use such information for marketing purposes. We sometimes use the non-personally identifiable information that we collect to improve the design and content of the Site and to enable us to personalize your experience in using the Site. We also may use this information in the aggregate to analyze Site usage, as well as to offer you products, programs, or services. The information we collect in connection with our online communities is used to provide an interactive experience. We use this information to facilitate participation in these online communities and, from time to time, to offer you products, programs, or services.
Disclosure to Third Parties)
In the event you choose to use links that appear on the Site to visit other websites, you are advised to read the privacy policies that appear on those websites.
Cookies and Other Technologies)
We may use other existing technologies, or technologies to be developed, to track the use of the Site, and the preferences and activity of our customers. We may use technologies which allow us to see who is actually looking at our Site, how long they are staying, and what types of activity the viewers are engaging in.
We may use pixel tags, which enable us to send email messages in a format containing pictures, and the tags tell us whether our email has been read and opened. We may use this information to judge the effectiveness of our email campaigns.
Protection of Personal Information)
We endeavor to implement and maintain reasonable security procedures and practices appropriate to the nature of your Personal Information in order to protect your Personal information in the form of physical, computer and administrative safeguards to prevent your information from being subject to unauthorized access, exfiltration, theft, or disclosure. While this Policy states our standards for maintenance of Personal Information and we will make efforts to meet them. There may be factors beyond our control that may result in disclosure of Personal Information
Retention of Personal Information)
Content or other Personal Information that you may have provided to us may continue to remain in our database at our discretion.
If at any time you wish to opt out of receiving promotional materials related to the Site, we will provide an unsubscribe link at the bottom of each promotional e-mail you receive. You can also send Inquiry Form to request unsubscribe promotional e-mail from us. Please keep in mind that opting out of promotional e-mails will not prevent you from receiving transactional e-mail correspondence related to, without limitation, the Site or your registered account.
You should note that in some instances, certain information or services can only be provided to you if personal information is provided. If you elect not to provide such information or opt out of having your information shared, you may not be able to receive certain content or information.
Collection of Information by Third-Party Sites and Sponsors)
The Site contains links to other sites whose information practices may be different than ours. Visitors should consult the other sites' privacy notices as we have no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties.
We sometimes may offer content (e.g., contests, sweepstakes, or promotions) that is sponsored by or co-branded with identified third parties. By virtue of these relationships, the third parties may obtain personally identifiable information that visitors voluntarily submit to participate in the Site activity. We have no control over these parties' use of this information. We will notify you at the time of requesting personally identifiable information if these parties will obtain such information.
We may limit the use of some of our Services only to persons age 18 and older who may legally enter into contracts. We will inform you when a Service is limited to persons age 18 or older. Except where otherwise indicated, TV JAPAN’s online services are general audience sites not designed or intended for use by children under the age of 13. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time with their children online and to be fully familiar with the online services used by their children. Except where otherwise expressly indicated we do not knowingly collect or store any personal information from children under the age of 13.
If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child (who is under 13) has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us immediately at TV JAPAN Customer Service Center (1-877-885-2726). We will delete such information from our files within a reasonable time.
How You can Access or Correct Information)
For instructions on how you can access the personally identifiable information that the Site has collected about you online, or how to correct factual errors in such information, please send your inquiry to us (Inquiry Form) or Call TV JAPAN Customer Service Center. To protect your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to help verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
Any individual, who has registered as "TV JAPAN Members" through the Site after April 2017 can access to their personal information and change the information through their personal page by logging in to their TV Japan Members account.
Your California Privacy Rights)
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, please read the Privacy Notice at the bottom of this Policy.
Links to Other Websites)
We do not presently use location-based services, that is, providing the Services that do not depend on the real-time geographic location from which you access our Services. However, we may do so in the future. If we collect such information, it will be handled like other Personal Information under this Policy.
If you have any questions about this Policy or our web site, please feel free to contact us by submitting the Inquiry Form available at https://tvjapan.net/inquiry_form_nonmember/
Effective Date: January 1, 2023
For the purpose of this Privacy Notice, “California Resident” means any person who: (1) resides in California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose; or (2) is domiciled in California but is currently outside California for a temporary or transitory purpose. California Resident may be referred as “California Resident” or “you”.
Update/Modification of this Privacy Notice
We may make changes to this Privacy Notice at our discretion and at any time. Such changes will be in compliance with the CCPA and other California privacy laws. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will post the updated notice on the Website and update the notice’s Effective Date and Last Reviewed Date. Your continued use of our Site following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
What Information We Collect
We collect personally identifiable information, namely information identifying, relating to, describing, referring, being capable of being associated with, or that could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you or your device. (“Personal Information”). In particular, we may collect the following categories of Personal Information:
|Category||Examples||We May Collect|
|A. Identifiers.||A real name, Internet Protocol address, email address, or other similar identifiers.||YES|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||
A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age range, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||YES|
|D. Commercial information.||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||NO1|
|E. Biometric information.||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||NO|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||NO2|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location or movements.||NO|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||NO|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||NO|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||NO|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes||NO3|
1 Except commercial information of our customers that may be obtained or inferred from certain statistical surveys made through third parties providing marketing consulting services.
2 Except statistical information on the use of our Site that may be obtained or inferred from certain surveys or research made through third parties providing marketing consulting services.
3 Except in the event of surveys randomly submitted by us to a limited number our customers (up to 2000 customers) on a yearly basis through third parties providing survey services, such as “Survey Monkey”.
Personal information does not include:
(1) Publicly available information from government records;
(2) De-identified or aggregated consumer information;
(3) Information excluded from the CCPA's scope, including: (a) health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data; and (b) personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
We obtain the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
(1) Directly from our clients or their agents. For example, Personal Information that you provide to us to engage our Services. From time to time, we may perform a certain viewer survey to improve our programs and services. In such occasion, you may also be asked to voluntarily rate the content of the Site.
(2) Indirectly from our clients or their agents. For example, through information we collect from you in the course of providing services to you.
(3) Directly and indirectly from activity on our Site. For example, general information from submissions through our Site portal or that are contained in our server log files, or our Site usage’s details.
(4) From third-parties that interact with us in connection with our Site or the Services we perform or other sources. Where permitted by applicable law, we may collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications (e.g., mobile devices, third party services, and embedded audio and video players), from co-branded partners and websites (e.g., on our Facebook pages), and from commercially available sources (e.g., data aggregators and public databases). The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources: (i) name, postal address, and telephone number; (ii) demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level; If you access third party services (e.g., Facebook, Google+ or Twitter) through the Site, or if you access the Site via a third party service, your username and password for those services and other information available about or collected from you on those services, (iii) your interests and purchase behavior, (iv) publicly-observed data, such as activities on blogs, videos, and other online postings; and other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on. Please note this Privacy Notice does not cover the practices of any third parties, including those that may disclose information to us.
We do not process or respond to "Do Not Track" signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed by us.
Use of your personal information
We may use your Personal Information for one or more of the following business purposes:
(1) to customize and improve your user experience on the Site and with the Services; or
(2) for our internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, marketing, fraud prevention and research so that we can enhance our Site and Services; or
(3) to fulfill your requests for our programs, and services, to respond to your inquiries about our offerings; or
(4) to offer you other products, programs or services that we believe may be of interest to you; or
(5) to communicate with you, such as to notify you when you have won one of our sweepstakes or contests; or
(6) to fulfill a request by you for an online newsletter; or
(7) to contact you about your account with us; or
(8) for internal review and analysis of the Site, the customer service process, and consumer comments; or
(9) to respond a law enforcement agency’s request, or transfer such information to a successor of TV JAPAN or any person or entity that acquires ownership or control of TV JAPAN or the Site via any means. In such event, you recognize that such successor, person or entity may make changes or modifications to this Privacy Notice, and your continued use of the Site constitutes consent to any such changes or modifications.
How long we keep your Personal Information
We keep your Personal Information if we need it to perform the business purposes identified above. We decide how long we need your Personal Information on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the following criteria: (a) if we need it to operate or perform one of our Services; and (b) we need to retain it to comply with legal requirements or obligations (e.g. a legal request to comply with applicable law, a governmental investigation, a legal claim) or safety, integrity and security purposes, including the protection of the interests of our users, investigation of violation of our terms or policies, or the protection of our rights, property or services; in some cases, we may preserve your Personal Information based on the foregoing reasons even after you exercise a request for deletion as described below. When we retain your Personal Information, we do so in accordance with our retention policies and procedures.
Sharing of Personal Information
We may disclose your Personal Information listed hereunder to a third party for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
(1) our service providers or vendors, such as Braintree, Nextologies, Amazon Web Services, Program Guide Printer & Mailing Service Company, mailing houses, marketing service providers, or customer service vendors, which may store your Personal Information or may share such Personal Information with other third parties as strictly necessary to operate our Services, process your transactions, and operate our Site and provide you with access thereto. If you believe that such service providers or vendors are not using your disclosed Personal Information for prohibited commercial purposes or for a purpose different from that for which such Information have been disclosed, please notify us by submitting a specific VCR (as defined below);
(2) third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you;
(3) authorized employees who need to know or have access to your Personal Information in order to operate, develop, or improve our online Services;
(4) law or government enforcement officials to comply with law, in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process or cooperate with such officials or private parties;
(6) other usage guidelines set by us or as otherwise required by law.
Sales of Personal Information
We do not sell your Personal Information for any reason.
Sharing of Personal Information for third parties’ advertising purposes
We do not share your Personal Information with third parties for any third parties’ direct marketing or advertising purposes.
We will not engage in any of the following activities without providing you with prior written notice:
(1) collect additional categories of Personal Information other than those listed above and marked with “YES”; or
(2) use the Personal Information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice; or
(3) disclose Personal Information we collected to any third parties other than those listed above.
The CCPA provides California Residents with specific rights regarding their Personal Information (“CCPA Rights”). This section describes CCPA Rights and explains how to exercise those rights in connection with your Personal Information.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (as defined below), we will disclose to you:
(1) the categories of Personal Information we collected about you;
(2) the categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you;
(3) our purpose for collecting or using that Personal Information;
(4) the categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Information;
(5) the specific pieces of Personal information we collected about you.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (as defined below), we will delete, and direct our service providers to delete, your Personal Information from our records. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the Personal Information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
(1) Complete the transaction for which we collected your Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
(2) Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
(3) Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
(4) Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
(5) Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
(6) Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
(7) Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
(8) Comply with a legal obligation.
(9) Make other internal and lawful uses of that Personal Information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
You have the right to request that we use commercially reasonable efforts to correct any of your Personal Information that we collected to the extent any of such Personal Information is inaccurate.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, Deletion, and Correction Rights
To exercise one of the CCPA Rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request (“VCR”) to us by either:
(1) Calling us at TV JAPAN Customer Service Center (1-877-885-2726); or
A VCR shall comply with the following conditions:
(1) Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a VCR related to your Personal Information. You may also make a VCR on behalf of your minor child. You may only make a VCR for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period.
(2) A VCR must:
a. Provide sufficient information that allows us to verify the applicant is currently residing in California and the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your residence, identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you. We will only use Personal Information provided in a VCR to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
b. Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
Please note that we may not accept a VCR that is not sent in accordance to the methods identified above and in compliance with the above described conditions.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a VCR in compliance with the conditions set forth above within 45 days of its receipt. We may extend such time period up to 90 days if reasonably necessary and we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing within the first 45-day period. We will deliver our response in a readily usable format by mail or electronically, at your option. Please note you do not have to register an account with us to submit a VCR. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the VCR’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your VCR unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that such VCR requires a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Unless permitted by CCPA, we will not discriminate against you because you exercise or intend to exercise any of your CCPA rights described above, including without limitation to:
(1) Denying you goods or services.
(2) Charging you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
(3) Providing you a different level or quality of goods or services.
(4) Suggesting that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Questions Concerning This Privacy Notice
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please feel free to contact us by submitting the Inquiry Form available at https://tvjapan.net/inquiry_form_nonmember/